Louisiana Medicaid Chief Operating Officer
The Medicaid Chief Operating Officer ensures Medicaid agency functions are optimized and aligned to deliver on the Department’s strategic goals and tactical objectives, ensuring compliance with Federal and State laws, rules and regulations, and stewardship of public resources while providing access to the highest quality of service and care to Louisiana Medicaid enrollees. This position requires in-depth knowledge of Medicaid including its critical issues and major challenges.
- Overall responsibility for facilitating the coordination, integration and execution of Medicaid policies and activities across Medicaid components, including new program initiatives. Directs, aligns, and oversees Medicaid’s ongoing operational strategies, policies, objectives, and initiatives.
- Tracks and monitors Medicaid performance and intervenes, as appropriate, to ensure key milestones/deliverables are successfully achieved. Keeps the Undersecretary and Medicaid Director advised of the status of significant federal and state initiatives and programs that affect beneficiaries and/or Medicaid and makes recommendations regarding necessary corrective actions.
- Promotes accountability, communication, coordination, and facilitation of cooperative decision-making among LDH senior leadership on management, operational and programmatic cross-cutting issues.
- Provide direct supervision to the Medicaid Eligibility Deputy Director; the Medicaid Policy, Waivers & Public Affairs Deputy Director; the Medicaid Program Operations & Compliance Deputy Director; the Chief Medical Officer and the Chief Clinical Innovations Officer.
- Applies current knowledge and understanding of Medicaid regulations, industry trends, current best practices, new developments, and applicable laws regarding assigned departments for operational and financial effectiveness. Ensures regulatory compliance for all areas of responsibility.
- Recognizes, adopts, and implements continuous quality improvement (CQI) best practices and metrics to obtain desired strategic and tactical results.
- Chair the Medicaid Financial Review Committee, including ensuring any Medicaid item that has a budget impact is evaluated and recorded.
Strategic Planning Responsibilities:
- Participates in the strategic and long-range planning of the organization. Integrates the long-range plans with operational plans and priorities. Provides leadership in determining programmatic, technical, and operational goals and develops processes to achieve these goals.
- In partnership with LDH and Medicaid Finance, Executive and Operational leadership, facilitates Medicaid’s portfolio management approach to decision making and resource allocation processes.
Sister Agency Responsibilities:
- Provides Medicaid’s executive leadership point of contact to LDH sister agency operations, including facilitating all required interaction and coordination between Medicaid and other sister agencies.
- Develops strategy and plans for implementing new objectives that partner Medicaid and sister agencies, including collaborating internally and externally to establish direction and enhance alliances to accomplish strategic results.